Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Do I really have a lot to say?

I've been struggling to think of something to write about on this blog for about a week now and I decided it was time to just jump in, start writing and see what comes. I love the idea of writing this blog and hope that it is readable and at least mildly interesting but at times like this, when I can't think of what to say, I have to wonder. What exactly am I trying to achieve here?

With the millions of people around the world who are blogging, there has to be more writing being put in front of readers than at any other time in history. But are we all just blathering on, adding to the din of voices in the wilderness with very little to say and entirely too much time to say it? Do I have a responsibility to maintain a certain level of quality on this blog? It's entirely self imposed but, I think that I do. Blogging has opened up a whole world of interesting reading on the web and I hope that I am adding to that and not detracting from it.

Writing is something that I've always done but almost never done steadily. I seem to write in fits and starts (just look at the dates of my previous posts to confirm this) which I think keeps me from ever really finding my groove. Good writers can always come up with something to write about and great writers are always compelling to read, even when they have little or nothing to say. I'm rambling on, filling up space on the screen all the while confident that my writing is most certainly not great and quite possibly not even good.

Since I started posting to this blog again a few weeks ago, I've been spending a lot more time reading other people's blogs. I'm looking for inspiration I guess or just looking for interesting reading. The sheer quantity of blogs is staggering and I am also surprised by how often I find something interesting. There is, of course, a lot of light weight bullshit (some of it is no doubt right here in my own blog) but a lot of it is at least slightly compelling on some level.

I guess we bloggers are this century's journalists. I don't mean journalist as in a member of the press, I mean diarist, I guess - if in fact that is a word. I've read a lot of journals and collected letters of famous writers and I wonder if people a hundred years from now will be reading bound volumes of blogs to understand the way people lived in the early part of the twenty first century. Hopefully, people are keeping copies of their blogs, either on paper or as files on their computers so that they can be part of posterity. I know that I've kept most of mine.

I don't really know what point I'm trying to make with all of this. Like I said, I thought I'd just start writing and see what came out. If anyone has read this and has continued to read through to the end, I want to thank you and express my hope that I've held your interest or at a minimum haven't wasted your time. Hopefully next time I sit down to write, I'll have something to say. If not, I'll at least try to say it well.

No comments: