Thursday, August 10, 2006

As a cursory glance at this blog will tell you, it's been a LONG time since I've posted anything here. Since the 2004 presidential election to be exact. I wish I could say that I abandoned this blog because I was too distraught about the state of our nation to continue writing. That may even have been a little bit true the first few days but the truth is, I just got out of the habit (I don't know if you can call a handful of posts a habit but...) and then sort of forgot about it. This is nothing new for me and I'm guessing it's nothing new for a lot of bloggers. I can't be the only person with a pile of half filled journals around my house, all of which start out with something along the lines of "THIS time is gonna be different. THIS time I'm gonna write in this journal every day until it is full". Of course, I've NEVER filled an entire journal in my life. I sometimes think I should tear out the pages of all those half filled journals, bind them in one book and VOILA! a complete journal!

And what IS a this blog if it's not a journal. Well, it's a bit more public than an actual journal but, it's kind of the same thing. I could make my big proclamation right here. Maybe something like this:

I WILL POST ON THIS BLOG EVERY DAY UNTIL IT IS FULL

Oh, wait, that wouldn't be right. I'm not positive but, I think it may be impossible to actual FILL a blog. There's always more space isn't there? Okay, how about this:

I WILL POST ON THIS BLOG EVERY DAY UNTIL I DIE

The trouble with this one is that last part. The "until I die" part. What if I'm very ill for a long time before I die and I am unable to post for the last several weeks of my life. I guess that would render my proclamation to be total bullshit. Maybe a simple time frame is better. Sort of a reachable goal. Also, who knows I could actually out live the internet which would also be a problem (especially for me because I would be incredibly OLD). Something like:

I WILL POST ON THIS BLOG EVERY DAY FOR THE NEXT YEAR

But a year IS kind of a long time isn't it? What if I get bored or distracted? What if I lose my job and have to sell my laptop for food? What if am struck with amnesia and forget that I've made this proclamation? I know I'm probably over thinking this but, what's the point in making a proclamation if you're not gonna see it through? What I need is a much more attainable goal. Hmm...wait! I have it! How about:

I WILL POST ON THIS BLOG UNTIL I HAVE FINISHED WITH THIS PARTICULAR POST

And I've already done it.

No comments: